Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Invincible no more


You think you're indestructible, you think you're invincible, you think nothing can stop you, until you hit something and DIE.

It goes something like this: While driving, or riding a bicycle, you tend to have those 'close calls', those times when you wonder 'How the hell did I get through that small space without scraping my car on both sides' or 'woa that was close' or something along those lines. Well I had always been a lil cocky in my car/on my bike. I would go dangerously close behind cars (aka tailgating) or swerve around on my bicycle without knowing how the hell i'd get between parked cars and moving cars on my sides, truck mirrors inches from my face as I sped by, getting stuck in tram tracks, the works. Somehow, I always made it thru.

Last night, I learned I am not always so lucky.

I was carrying Ching-Yin on the back of my bike, making a left turn and I saw a girl riding her bike straight, so somehow I thought she would speed up so I could go pass behind her as she rode by, but she DIDNT, and I ran full speed into her back wheel for a full on bike collision. What happened next was a blur: The bike tipped over, I flew off and hit the pavement with my palms and left knee, I hear Ching-Yin going "are u okay are u okay????" and suddenly I'm on my back staring into the starless Amsterdam sky.

At this point I look down and see a TEAR in my jeans on my left knee (and think, o great now Sofie is going to think I copied her ripped jeans look) but how cool is that?? I ACTUALLY RIPPED A HOLE IN MY JEANS FROM A REAL INJURY!! now THATs authentic hardcore!!! :D But looking beyond the tear, I see scraped skin and some blood. :( Anyway my bike seemed to be okay after a kick in the back by Ching-Yin, and now I am hobbling around like a cripple.

I learned my lesson though, I never thought I'd actually hit anything/anyone.. but it happens. I'll TRY to be more careful.. but yea who am I kidding.. hehe.


No comments: